Pit Boss BBQ Competition
2nd Annual Pit Boss Competition
"Cruisin for A Cause"
October 5, 2019
Wanted: Pit Boss Champion!
Are you a Self-Proclaimed Grilling Boss? Wanna Prove It? Register soon to earn the title and the bragging rights!
Held in conjunction with the 2nd Annual "Cruisin' for a Cause" event, this event will also help to raise funds for the Park Hills Senior Center's Meals on Wheels Program!
CATEGORIES: There will be four individual competition categories PLUS the Pit Boss Competition. You MUST participate in at least TWO MEAT categories in order to qualify for the Pit Boss Prize.
Amateur Contestants Only! No Professional Chefs Allowed!
Must Register by October 2, 2019
- Burnt Ends (Brisket, Chuck Roast, or Pork Belly)
- Grilled Desserts
- Pit Boss (Overall)
GRILLING & JUDGING TIMES: Set-Up and Check-In begin at 8:00 a.m. Cooking may begin at your discretion once your meat has been checked by an event manager. For judging purposes, grillers will need to prepare 3 separate servings (suggested serving sizes 2-3 oz.) per category. All MEATS will be judged on Presentation, Tenderness, Flavor, and Overall Impression. DESSERTS will be judged on Creativity, Presentation, Flavor, and Overall Impression. All decisions of the judges will be final. Judging times are as follows:
- Chicken - 1:00 p.m.
- Ribs - 2:00 p.m.
- Desserts - 3:00 p.m.
- Burnt Ends - 4:00 p.m.
PRIZES: All prizes will be awarded at approximately 5:00 p.m. from the Main Stage.
- ONE $100 Gift Certificate will be awarded to the “Pit Master Chicken Champion”
- ONE $100 Gift Certificate will be awarded to the “Pit Master Burnt Ends Champion”
- ONE $100 Gift Certificate will be awarded to the “Pit Master Rib Champion”.
- ONE $100 Gift Certificate will be awarded to the “Pit Master Dessert Champion”
- ONE contestant will be named “Pit Boss Champion” and will receive a $500 Cash Prize.
Contestants only qualify to win the Pit Boss Champion prize if they compete in a minimum of TWO meat categories. If participating in three or more competitions, you must specify during registration which two meat categories we will be judging for the overall Pit Boss Prize.
RULES & GUIDELINES: All grillers must follow all of the following rules and guidelines or you will be disqualified.
- Skill Level: Grillers MUST be amateur competitors. NO professional chefs allowed.
- Grilling Sites: All grillers will be allowed a 10’ x 10’ space for grilling. No electric sites will be available. Generators are welcome. Grillers must provide their own tents.
- Health Guidelines: Grillers MUST abide by all health department regulations as outlined in Guidelines for Temporary Food Events pamphlet. Cleanliness of all grillers and their cooking area is mandatory! Proper handwashing and the use of disposable food-safe gloves shall be used at all times when handling food products, raw or cooked. Gloves should be changed often, especially when working with different products and when handling ready to eat foods after handling raw foods. Absolutely NO tobacco products allowed during the preparation, handling, cooking or presentation of the contest entries. Clothing, including, but not limited to, shirts and shoes must be worn in all food preparation areas while handling any food.
- Fire Extinguishers: Each griller will be required to have a fire extinguisher in full view at all times.
- Grilling Categories & Serving Sizes: There are THREE Meat Categories - Chicken, Burnt Ends (Brisket, Chuck Roast, or Pork Belly), & Ribs. There is also a GRILLED DESSERT Category. For judging purposes, grillers will need to prepare 3 separate servings (suggested serving sizes 2-3 oz.) per category.
- Judging Criteria: All meats will be judged on Presentation, Tenderness, Flavor, and Overall Impression. Desserts will be judged on Creativity, Presentation, Flavor, and Overall Impression.
- NO Pre-Cooked Meats Allowed! All meat must be raw and uncooked at check-in.
- NO Sides Allowed! Garnish is allowed, however, adding side dishes constitutes disqualification from the category.
- Containers: Containers for presenting the food will be supplied by the Chamber. Meat containers will be foam clam-shell trays measuring 9 3/4” long x 5” wide x 3 1/4” deep. Dessert containers will be foam clam-shell trays measuring 6” long x 6” wide x 3” deep.
- Free Samples: Contestants are allowed to offer free samples to the crowd, however, grillers may not sell food, drink, souvenirs, or other items to the public. ANY AND ALL SALES ARE PROHIBITED. NO FOOD CAN BE SOLD at the event, and any attempt constitutes disqualification from the event.
- All decisions of the judges will be final!
- After The Competition: Grillers are responsible for the CLEAN UP of their area immediately following the contest. Each griller is responsible for keeping the grilling area clean and policed before leaving the event (no ashes, hot or cold, shall be dumped or left on-site).
- All Sales Are Final! Once a griller’s entry fee is received, there are NO REFUNDS of any kind, in any amount, for any reason, in any time frame. Entries will be processed on a first paid basis.
- Non-Human Guests Are Prohibited: No pets or small animals are allowed in the cooking area.
- Our Rights: We cannot think of every little detail, but we will try to make your contest experience as enjoyable and fair as it can be. The Park Hills - Leadington Chamber of Commerce personnel reserves the right to amend these rules and regulations as situations warrant. Intent to circumvent these rules or amendments will not be tolerated.
- Play Ball! Lastly, and most importantly, without your participation, we have no event. Maximize your enjoyment with the intent to return next and subsequent years! HAVE A GREAT DAY and HAVE FUN!!!
OTHER CRUISIN' FOR A CAUSE EVENT ACTIVITIES: Aside from Cruising and BBQ, the event will include Live Music by Jim N 'Em, a Beer Garden by Old Mine House Pub and Grill, a Car Show, Talent Show, Craft Vendors, Food Vendors, a Beard & Mustache Competition, a Dog Show, Kids Area, Miss & Mr. Contest, and much more!!