We Honor Veterans “Once a Hero”
At Heart & Soul Hospice, we believe that no matter how long it has been since a veteran last slipped on a uniform, they deserve to be celebrated and revered.
Through the We Honor Veterans program, we commemorate the selfless service of veterans nearing the end of life through special vet-to-vet pinning ceremonies that demonstrate our heartfelt appreciation for the countless sacrifices made by service members and their families.
We Honor Veterans was developed by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs to create resources and a standard of care for veterans and their families.
Program resources focus on respectful inquiry, compassionate listening, and grateful acknowledgment, coupled with Veteran-centric education of health care staff caring for Veterans.
As hospice professionals, the staff at Heart & Soul Hospice:
- Give veterans an opportunity to tell their stories.
- Respect the veteran's service, their feelings, and any suggestions they might offer.
- Thank veterans for their service to our country.
- Show appreciation for the families of veterans.
- Support veterans and validate their feelings.
- Listen patiently to develop trust.
- Expect the veteran’s sharing to occur over time.
- Demonstrate honesty, sincerity, caring and respect.